Sunday, April 5, 2009

Green Salad with Almond Orange Dressing

I kind of forgot about how much I love this salad until I made it over the weekend to take to a friends house. It is very refreshing and one of those salads you can't get enough of. I'm happy to say that I have some leftover ingredients in the fridge and will be making this again tonight.

Green Salad with Almond Orange Dressing

1 lg. head of red leaf lettuce
1 bermuda onion (I couldn't find one, so used about half a small red onion instead)
2 oranges, peeled and sliced or 1 can mandarin oranges- especially good with fresh oranges
1 small jicama, cut in strips
4 oz. sliced almonds
3 Tbsp. sugar - heat sugar and glaze almonds

Dressing:
1/2 tsp. grated orange peel
1/3 cup fresh orange juice
2 Tbsp. red wine vinegar
1/2 cup vegetable oil
2 Tbsp. sugar
1 Tbsp. Good Seasons Dry Italian Dressing Mix

Combine the dressing ingredients and refrigerate several hours. Toss the salad with the dressing just before serving.

2 comments:

Melanie Anne said...

Sounds good! I love jicama in salads!

Marie said...

I'm pretty good at guessing which recipe is yours before I see the tag line at the end. I think, "I bet this is Kristy." :) That's a good thing. They always sound like great recipes. You know I've never used jicama in my own cooking before. This recipe sounds delicious, but I have a question: If you use fresh oranges, do you need to use the little clementines or something? Navel oranges have such huge segments. Or maybe you just cut up the segments? By the way, thanks for the salmon idea. I'll have to do that sometime.