Friday, January 25, 2008

Quick and Easy Wednesday (err,Friday): fast food is not McDonalds


I was fortunate to spend some time in France last September and this visit changed the way I thought about many things. One of the greatest lessons learned was that French food isn't really all I thought, you know, perspiring over the stove making sauces from twenty fresh herbs, finely diced mushroom stems, and duck livers. That all has its place, but from my experience, much of what makes French cooking great is the beautiful, fresh ingredients. Many of my favorite dishes there could be cooked up in a flash, if cooked at all. In the end, the essential cooking method used was in the selection of the ingredients. Delicious olive oil heated in the saute pan + thinly sliced fresh, gorgeous cremini mushrooms + sea salt + three minutes=delicious. I think the big difference with the food in France is the philosophy of those who prepare it. Those preparing the food are most likely the ones who will be eating it and value food for its pleasurable sensations. They respect the food and want to bring out the best in each ingredient. And many times, food, if it is high quality to begin with, is pretty simple to prepare. What I didn't see in France was any sort of stress about making something perfectly. There were no kitchen martyr hostesses slaving in the back during a party. Just people being creative with flavors and textures and smells. I love this philosophy and since returning back from my trip, I've tried to make my meals a more beautiful and simple experience.



[here are some foodie pics from France...mmmmm...]

So, in honor of my new aspirations, today I really tried to implement my lessons learned from Frenchie food at lunch and I must say that it was most pleasurable. Great company (fellow blogger, Kristy, Kari, and our kids), great entertainment (watching my son, Peter, try to shove all sorts of fruit in his mouth), and tasty, fresh, fast food, if I say so myself:

Tortellini Soup with Escarole--cooks up in about 10 minutes, max!
3 cans (14.5 ounces each) reduced-sodium chicken stock
1 bay leaf
1 small head escarole, cleaned, trimmed and cut into 1 1/2 inch pieces (*note* I had the darndest time finding escarole in Utah, and substitute spinach. It seemed to work out just fine.)
1 pound cheese tortellini
Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper

Directions

In a large stockpot, combine chicken stock, 2 cups water and bay leaf. Bring to a boil. Add escarole, and cook, stirring constantly, until wilted, about 15 seconds.
Add tortellini, and cook until they float to the top, 4 to 5 minutes. Discard bay leaf, and season soup with salt and pepper. Serve immediately.

Just add some nice bread, nice cheese, and fresh fruit, and you have yourself a great lunch! bon appetit!

1 comments:

Joanna said...

Hi ladies

I stumbled on your blog - it was featured on the front page of bloglines! So I had a little look and thought to myself, they look like a nice bunch of ladies - and they're all dressed so modestly -they look like they could be LDS... but laughed it off thinking that that kind of coincidence wasn't going to happen. Then I read a Lions House recipe and thought a-ha! And then read about Enrichment night and well that was it. I knew it! lol!

Also, I read a lot about you being in CT? We just moved to NH in 2006 from UT and love it out here. We go down to CT often and have vacationed in Mystic and Westerley. It's always nice to hear about other members in the NE area.

I have subscribed to your blog and will check back often - there are such yummy looking things on here!