Saturday, December 8, 2007

Party Night - Holiday Treats

Oh my word - I'm such a slacker! I think Fridays have just been skipping right by me and disappearing. Forgive me for being late. Here are a couple of easy recipes for some festive holiday treats we like to have made up for when we have people over during the holidays.

HOLIDAY PRETZEL TREATS:
bite-size waffle shaped pretzels or ring (round) pretzels
Hershey's hugs
M & M's - preferably the mint ones you can find this time of year

Heat your oven to 170 degrees. Line a cookie sheet with parchment and place pretzels in a single layer on baking sheet. Top each prezel with an unwrapped Hershey's hug (or you could use kisses). Bake for 4 to 6 minutes (white chocolate melts more quickly), until the chocolates start to get shiny. Remove from oven and quickly press an M & M into the center of each hug or kiss. Allow treats to cool for a few minutes, then place in refrigerator to set, about 10 minutes.
Another variation of this recipe is to use caramel kisses on the pretzel and press with a nut on the top (turtle). Yummy!

SWEET CHEX MIX:
3/4 cup butter
1 cup sugar
1 cup karo syrup
1 big box Rice Chex
1 big box Golden Grahams
2 cups slivered almonds
2 cups shredded coconut

In a medium pan, melt butter and then add sugar and karo syrup. Bring mixture to a boil; boil for 2 minutes. Pour immediately over dry ingredients. Make sure everything is coated. Spread our on a cookie sheet to dry - can be a little sticky when done.

3 comments:

Kristy said...

Ah, yes. These are two of my favorite holiday treats, too!

Unknown said...

I forgot to mention that I saw someone make those pretzel snacks into mock turtles. They used the pretzels, caramel filled kisses and put a pecan half on top instead of an M&M. It sounded like a fun variation!

Kristy said...

Ok, I'm retarded. I see that you already wrote about the turtle idea. Don't mind me and my pregnancy brain! Ha!!!