Monday, November 24, 2008

Grandma Stahle's Turkey Dressing

With Thanksgiving this week, I thought I'd share my family's beloved recipe for dressing/stuffing. Growing up, this dish was present at every single Thanksgiving dinner that I can remember. And horribly, I have to admit that I "didn't like" stuffing when I was young! Can you believe that? I flat out didn't eat it until I was in Jr. High and finally decided to actually try it - mmm. There's been no turning back since. And it wasn't until I was away from my family for a couple of Thanksgiving holidays, where this stuffing wasn't present, that I realized that not all stuffings taste the same. There are so many different kinds out there, but this one is the one that makes my heart sing. It brings back so many memories of home, my grandma, my family, and years of wonderful holidays.

GRANDMA STAHLE'S TURKEY DRESSING:
3 cubes butter
5 to 6 cups liquid (chicken broth & milk)
Lipton chicken soup flavoring (not noodles) or 3 to 4 Tbsp. chicken base
2 cups chopped onions
2 cups chopped celery
salt & pepper, to taste
LOTS of sage (most of a 0.5-oz. bottle)
2 loaves white and 1 loaf whole wheat bread, crumbed (or 2 (10-oz.) boxes bread crumbs + 1 loaf wheat bread)

Melt butter with water and Lipton soup stock or chicken base; add celery and onion. Pour seasonings over bread crumbs, then pour liquid over top and mix in (can add milk if not moist enough--crumbs should be soft, not too crunchy). Bake at 350 degrees for 30-45 minutes.

1 comments:

i'm h.mac said...

oh, this is so good! i remember having this christmas eve, this is just like the one my mom makes, thanks for posting this~