Friday, October 24, 2008

the best mac and cheese...

this recipe came from a childhood favorite. it came from the mormon cooking book.
as always, i added my own twist too.



2 1/2 c. elbow macaroni (measure before you cook it)
4 TB flour
4 TB butter
2-3 TB chopped onion
1/2 t salt
dash of pepper
2 c cream (or milk, it called for milk but i had some cream ready to expire and i tell you, it was a beautiful thing...)
2 c cubed american ( i didn't want to resort to kraft singles so i found this in my deli and i used a half pound)





topping (my addition and oh so YUMMY)
1 c panko bread crumbs (you can also use regular, panko rock tho)
3 TB butter, melted.
1/2 t basil
1/2 t oregano
2 TB parmesan cheese


cook elbow macaroni according to directions.


in a saucepan melt butter. add onions and flour. stir together until it takes a paste shape. add cream slowly whisking. let flour and butter paste incorporate with cream and add cheese last.


whisk until all incorporated.


toss cheese sauce with cooked macaroni into a 9X13 dish. mix together topping ingredients and sprinkle over top of mac and cheese.



bake at 350 for 30 minutes uncovered.





{thanks for the pretty photo martha}

*commentary*

i've made a lot of mac and crack (as kristy calls it) and this is hands down the best, most simple recipe. we like to eat it with a piece of ham with applesauce adorning the ham. i also doubled this recipe and froze the rest so next week when i feel lazy my kids will think i'm cool.

other entertaining ideas:
did you see jordan's post on how she served her mac and cheese? i used it and scooped out 2 individual servings and put them in some cute ramekins. they were a perfect lunch for a mom and a sick baby. and i do think this is company worthy, just so you know. i have a christmas party brewing in my head with this lovely and a beautifully dressed ham.....

2 comments:

G. said...

I love homemade mac and cheese. I always try different recipes to find my fave. I have about 3 different ones I love. I'll have to try this one. Thanks.

Kristy said...

Ah, Mac n' crack. I can't even say that without smiling. I haven't found a great recipe for homemade macaroni and cheese so I am excited to try this one. Thanks Heidi!