Tuesday, September 30, 2008

autumn in a dish.....

i know i have posted this recipe before, but i am going to do it again, since it is season appropriate and all. i have made few revisions to this recipe as well.

first let me say...

my fabulous mother always made this and a pot of soup in the fall and took us to our local campground many, many, many fall nights. creating such a flood of warm memories for us kids. we now do the same thing in our family. this is me crowning my childhood friend kellie with the first piece of autumn in a dish for the season, quite an honor!


apple pudding

1 C sugar
1/2 C butter
1 egg
4 lg apples, shredded
2 C flour
2 t soda
2 t cinnamon
1 t nutmeg
1 C pecans (optional)
1/2 t. salt

cream sugar and butter. add egg and apples. add flour and dry ingredients. bake at 350 for 25 to 30 minutes in a 9 by 13 pan.

caramel sauce

1 C butter
2 C sugar
1 C cream or canned milk
1 1/2 t vanilla (add after removed from heat to ensure the flavor)

bring to a slow rolling boil, about 5-6 minutes.

DRENCH a piece of cake in this and you will be so happy....


*we cooked this in a dutch oven. 8 coals on top, 9 on bottom, 35 - 40 minutes {heaven}

2 comments:

Sue said...

Thanks for posting this Heidi! I can't wait to try and make it. I'm sure it won't be as good as yours was that night up at the campsite, but even if it's 1/2 as good.......YUM!!!!
Sue

Humanist mom said...

Annie, thank you so much for the info! I will definatly have to contact her for some photography! Tell Grahm I said Hi, I haven't seen him in years.
Thanks,
Chelsea B