Friday, July 18, 2008

how we cow....


i am no meat connoisseur, i leave that to todd and deanna. yes, they have corrected us of our overdone meat eating ways and introduced us to a whole new world of medium rare with NO steak sauce.

i am not up to the task of cooking this yet, so i rely on a favorite and trusted family marinade to appease me until i can get here to eat real meat.

flank steak is a great cut for this marinade. this cut can be tough and this makes it melt in your mouth.

1 c tomato juice
1/2 c oil
1 TBSP meat tenderizer
fresh minced garlic (and don't skip this, if you have powdered, okay, you win- 1TBSP)

let this marinate up to 3 days. the longer the better, but it is also good over night. cook to your liking on the GRILL. 7-9 minutes on each side suites me, but check with your company and see what it takes to retain the friendship. you might have to go longer here.

the tomato juice beats the meat into submission and calls it to tenderness. i have used a spicy organic V8 which i highly recommend in place of the plain tomato juice.

2 comments:

Mumsy said...

Heidi!!! Do you know how much I LOVE Maddox?! I haven't been there in years and years. We used to eat there all the time with my grandparents when I was a little kid.

I can't wait to try this marinade. I had a similar one on skirt steak awhile back and it was unbelievably delicious.

(Thanks for the trip down memory lane!)

Kristy said...

My family has a really similar recipe that has been passed on for generations. My grandpa was famous for these flank steaks! Something to make it extra tender is to have the butcher run the steaks through the cuber once. Mmmmm. I need these soon. Our family always has these with baked beans, corn on the cob and homemade buttermilk scones (the fried kind!) Oh, mercy.