Wednesday, November 21, 2007

A Holiday Favorite- Cranberry Nut Bread

Today I am very late in posting...but that is what happens when you are preparing for a holiday! I don't have a quick and easy recipe post for you today, but I do have one of my favorite holiday recipes to share and since it is a holiday week, I thought it was appropriate.

I have to say that I come from a long line of exceptional cooks. There is definitely a legacy of good food in my family. As a little girl we spent a lot of time at my great grandma Sena's house. She would often serve us a feast, and I know she loved having someone to cook for. Great Grandma Sena is my dad's grandmother. I know she passed along a lot of secrets and tips to my Mom, especially as they would bake together during the holidays. My mom, in turn has passed those on to my sisters and I. I love the fact that my Mom was so close to my dad's grandma. I'm grateful for that because it meant we spent a lot of time with her while we were growing up and I cherish the memories we shared. The following recipe was one of her favorites. We have had this Cranberry Nut Bread around the holidays for as long as I can remember. In fact, it was probably served at my very first Christmas, 25 years ago.

Now, cutting all the cranberries in half is a bit of a labor of love, but I love making this every year and enjoy thinking about my great grandma Sena as I chop up those berries.
This bread is delicious while it is still warm out of the oven, but my favorite is to eat it chilled.

Cranberry Nut Bread

2 Cups Flour

1 tsp. Soda

½ tsp. Salt

1 Cup Sugar

Stir ingredients together and then mix:

1 egg

2 Tbsp. Sugar

½ Cup Water

1/3 Cup Oil

½ Cup Orange Juice

1 Tbsp. Orange Rind

1 Cup Walnuts, chopped

2 Cups fresh cranberries cut in half

Pour into a greased loaf pan. Bake at 350 for approximately 1 hour.

Here is what it looks like in my Bosch, ready to go into the pans. I double the recipe to make 2 loaves.

3 comments:

Becca said...

Thanks for posting this recipe, Kristy! I've been craving this lately!!

i'm h.mac said...

looks so great,i love the legacy that comes with it!

LaDuke Family said...

That sounds delicious. Now I know what to do with my extra bag of cranberries.